With only a handful of players from their squad that competed in last season' W-League, Stop Out's rebuild in the Women's Premier competition hit a roadblock in the form of a rampant Waterside-Karori team. Both Courtney Stone and Millie Lynskey put four in to the back of the net as the Wharfies won 9-0. They are yet to concede a goal.

Fellow pace-setters, the Wellington United Sapphires, conceded their first goal of the season but they followed last week's 9-goal effort with 7 against Island Bay's Flames.

Victoria University complete the league's compliment of unbeaten teams, quietly going about their work with a 3-0 win over Petone. Petone will be searching for their first win, and first goal, of the season next weekend when they match-up against Stop Out, who share their goal-less, win-less record.


Napier City Rovers have drawn clear at the top of the Ultra Football Central League after defeating fellow early-season pacesetters Wellington Olympic.

A brace from their leading-scorer, Martin Bueno, and a 23rd-minute strike from Sho Goto had them well in control early in the first half at Wakefield Park on Saturday.

Gavin Hoy gave Olympic a brief glimpse of hope when scoring in the 54th minute, but 3-1 was how the score stayed as Napier moved to nine points, three clear of Olympic, Stop Out, and Wellington United, who have a game in hand.

Stop Out were beaten by last season’s runner-up, Waiarapa United, 2-0 at Hutt Park. Shakille Belle and Paul Ifill got the goals midway through each half.

Defending champions, Western Suburbs, also got their first win of the season, beating Waterside Karori 4-1 at Endeavour Park.That result, coupled with Miramar Rangers’ 2-0 away win over Havelock North Wanderers, means there are just three points separating second from seventh after three rounds.


Things are also congested in the Capital Premier division, with three points between leaders North Wellington and seventh-placed Miramar Rangers reserves after the weekend’s action,

North Wellington eased their way past Olympic’s reserves 3-1 thanks to goals from Ryan Worrall, Callum Goodwin, and Patrick O’Keefe to keep their undefeated record intact after three matches.

Island Bay United stunned Upper Hutt City 7-0 in their clash, while Petone get their season back on track with their first win, a 4-0 triumph over Lower Hutt’s reserves thanks to a hat-trick from Alexander Shepherd-Reynolds.   

In other results, Wests’ reserves beat Kapiti Coast United 2-0 and Tawa drew 2-2 with Miramar’s reserves.


The W-League threw up some interesting results from the second-round action.

Newcomers Western Suburbs will be happy with their 3-3 draw against last season’s contenders Palmerston North Marist. Maya Hahn showing her class for Wests with a brace.

Seatoun very nearly got the better of the powerful Wellington United outfit, before succumbing to a 2-1 loss, while Wairarapa United continued their strong start to the season with a 1-1 draw against defending champions Upper Hutt City after the hosts conceded a 93rd-minute own goal at Maidstone Park.

The results were an indicator that it might be a much tighter league than last year, when Wellington, Upper Hutt, and Palmerston North were clearly superior to the other three teams.


Ultra Football Central League round three results
Napier City Rovers 3 (Martin Bueno 39’ 52’, Sho Goto 23’) Wellington Olympic 1 (Gavin Hoy 54’). HT: 2-0
Wairarapa United 2 (Shakille Belle 35’, Paul Ifill 70’) Stop Out 0. HT: 1-0
Miramar Rangers 2 (Merlin Luke-Miny 72’, Mikhail Bredeveldt 86’) Havelock North Wanderers 0. HT: 0-0
Western Suburbs 4 (Ben Sippola 45’ 57’, Eli Just 40’, Alex Clayton 57’) Waterside Karori 1 (Tor Davenport-Peterson 40’). HT: 2-1
Wellington United v Lower Hutt City postponed

Standings: Napier 9, Wellington United 6*, Stop Out 6, Olympic 6, Wests 5, Wairarapa 4, Miramar 3, Lower Hutt 1*, Waterside Karori 0, Havelock North 0
*game in hand


Capital Premier Round Three Results
North Wellington 3 (Ryan Worrall 28’, Callum Goodwin 44’, Patrick O’Keefe 90+3’) Wellington Olympic 1 (Samuel Staunton 63’). HT: 2-0
Petone 4 (Alexander Shepherd-Reynolds 32’ 69’ 90+3’, Oliver Whitehead 8’) Lower Hutt City 0. HT: 2-0
Western Suburbs 2 (Falaima Mokeni 68’, Oliver van Rissel 82’) Kapiti Coast United 0. HT: 0-0
Tawa 2 (Mike Ramaekers 83’, Liam Kerr 88’) Miramar Rangers 2 (Oliver Cece 3’, Charles Atkinson-Kos 10’) HT: 0-2
Island Bay United 7 Upper Hutt City 0

Standings: North Wellington 7, Wests 6, Lower Hutt 6, Tawa 5, Petone 4, Upper Hutt 4, Miramar 4, Island Bay 1, Olympic 1, Kapiti 0


W-League Second Round Results
Wellington United 2 (Madeline Pigou-Williams 44’, Danielle Ohlsson 80’) Seatoun 1 (Grace Surridge 49’). HT: 1-0
Upper Hutt City 1 (Carolyn O'Reilly 51') Wairarapa United 1 (own goal 90+3’). HT: 0-0
Palmerston North Marist 3 (scorers unknown at publication) Western Suburbs 3 (Maya Hahn (2), Mel Macdougall)

Standings: Wellington United 6, Palmerston North 4, Wairarapa 4, Wests 1, Upper Hutt 1 Seatoun 0


Women's Capital Premier Round Two Results
Waterside Karori 9 (Stone (4), Lynskey (4), Owen) Stop Out 0
Brooklyn Northern United 0 Kapiti Coast United 3 (Addy (2), Whitton)
Wellington United Sapphires 7 (Hayr (2), Kincaid, Kelman, McKenzie, Olson, Lenihan-Ikin) Island Bay United Flames 1 (Nemet-Sargent)
Petone 0 Victoria University 3 (Armstrong, Wheeler, Own Goal)

Standings: Wellington United 6, Waterside Karori 6, Victoria University 6, Kapiti Coast 3, Brooklyn 3, Petone 0, Island Bay 0, Stop Out 0

Latest News